NSA believes family volunteerism in our school is a key component to the successful education of our students. Families involved in their child’s education help make learning a priority, and thus benefits the student while putting them first. Volunteering can take on many forms from helping in the classroom, assisting staff in the lunchroom and on the playground, or doing projects at home.Volunteer Hours
At NSA, each family is required to volunteer a minimum of 40 hours per academic year (or 20 hours for single parent families – you MUST contact the Volunteer Coordinator to qualify). At the start of each new school year volunteers are required to log into the Volunteer Management System (VMS) to verify and update their contact information (if necessary) and to update their student information (i.e. grade). Please note: in order to log your hours, you must return the necessary school Registration Forms and DCSD Parent Volunteer Agreement.Volunteer Requirements
- Review the Volunteer Handbook
- Sign up for your volunteer interests in VMS
- Log volunteer hours in VMS within the month of volunteering
- Maintain and keep your VMS account up-to-date
- Sign in and out with the school’s Administrative office when you are volunteering at school
- Wear an approved volunteer badge at all times (to be provided by NSA)
Volunteers are primarily recruited from VMS based on ‘Interests’ as needs arise, or as we begin to start planning for an Event. For instance, an ‘Interest’ in VMS is ‘School Pictures’. Approximately 3-4 weeks prior to the scheduled event we will pull the names of all volunteers who have selected ‘School Pictures’ as an ‘Interest’ in VMS and will send out a recruitment email.
We occasionally recruit for volunteers via our weekly newsletter in the Volunteer Connection section. In this instance, you will find a contact name and email address that you can email to volunteer and offer assistance, or you will find a link to our online scheduling system where you can schedule yourself.
Traffic Duty volunteers are recruited throughout the school year by GRADE LEVEL beginning with Middle School parents (our most experienced volunteers). There is no ‘Interest’ to select in VMS because everyone is required to participate in Traffic Duty!Volunteer Appreciation
We are VERY appreciative of all our dedicated NSA Families and we want to be able to thank you for your hard work and commitment to our students and school. Below is an outline of our Volunteer Appreciation Program:
- Achieving Your 40 Hours – for achieving your Volunteer commitment you will be rewarded with a small token of our appreciation as our way of saying ‘thank you’ for your time and many talents!
- Volunteer Appreciation Celebration (by invitation) – volunteers who go above and beyond the call of duty either via volunteer hours or special assistance to NSA will be invited to our annual Volunteer Appreciation celebration at the end of the school year. In order to receive the invitation, you must have completed and logged 40 hours and 6 shifts of traffic duty.
For additional information on NSA’s Volunteer Program, please contact Dawn D’Amato, Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.